Metal Wall Cladding Systems have proven their capabilities in the construction and building materials industry. These building facade products hugged the complexities of architects for a long time. This is because building designers appreciate metal wall cladding systems for their flexibility and wide range of finishes. However, due to these building facade products’ considerable strength, architects are challenged to specify them for the suitable envelope. The possibilities for different designs, methods of installation, forms, and fabrication procedures are limitless. Additionally, metal wall claddings are manufactured with various materials, making them available in different forms, including ACM panels or Aluminum composite panels, aluminum siding wall claddings, stainless steel metal facades, etc. Various factors allow designers and architects to create a modern appearance for contemporary buildings by utilizing metal wall cladding.
Metal Wall Cladding Systems
Industrial metal panels or materials are most suitable for the rain screen cladding systems, where the primary mission is to protect the facility from external damaging elements and a striking exterior finish. Due to the beneficial physical properties of ACM panels and other metal wall claddings, they can be bent, cut, fabricated, installed, and attached to the building’s structure in different methods. Each method provides unique benefits in terms of aesthetics and functionality. The following are some of the methods architects and designers prefer to use for metal wall cladding systems.
- Standing Seam: This system is one of the famous building claddings in the construction industry, which features strong folded attachments between each of their boards. These boards are specially produced to allow architects to create modern exterior designs and building facades. The standing seam systems come with various materials, including aluminum composite materials, steel, galvanized steel, zinc, and CORTEN steel.
- Snap-Lock Systems: The snap-lock cladding system is the more straightforward alternative to the design above which is used for displaying ribbed profile and do not require special tools and equipment for the installation. The design is uniquely done for allowing boards to snap together with an easy installation process.
- ACM panels: Another famous and practical metal wall cladding systems are ACM panels or ACP materials. These building materials consist of two sheets of aluminum and one fire-retard core substance. Due to the various benefits of ACM panels, architects utilize them in most modern commercial buildings.
- Interlocking System: The only system which offers a smoother and dramatic appearance is the interlocking system which consists of an express joint. This type of metal wall cladding system has various widths and involves horizontal, vertical and diagonal installing processes.
- Cassette Panels for Buildings: Cassette panels are the best choice when creating a building facade with large cladding areas. One of the systems, which is known as the open-joint panel system, is appropriate for being used with panels that are large in length. The manufacturers utilize various bending machines to bend the cassette panels and fix them to an aluminum framework with invisible clips. The flat and contemporary look of these metal wall cladding systems satisfies almost all current architectural requirements for commercial and residential constructions.
- Custom Metal Wall Claddings: Manufacturers provide custom metal wall cladding systems for projects that require unique designs for the building’s facade. They develop new strategies by altering an existing cladding and create something new. However, demanding custom wall products can increase the overall cost of the project.
Despite the various metal wall systems designs and finishes, the main reason for using these building facade products is their functional characteristics and performance factors. These cladding systems protect the building from different damaging elements and help the facility to survive for decades. Additionally, other practical performance factors are making these metal wall cladding suitable for the current construction industry.
- Durability: Metal wall claddings are often more durable than other building materials such as Wood sidings which are also perfect materials that architects admire. Architects and designers determine their building’s requirements, and manufacturers create protective coating and utilize the most durable substance equivalent to the location’s conditions. For instance, ACM panels can last for decades without any damages if appropriately maintained.
- Fire Resistance: Current building codes and standards demand fire-resistant construction designs. ACM panels (aluminum composite panels) are highly resistant to fire due to the fire-retardant core manufacturers utilize for producing them.
- Acoustic Property: Most metal wall cladding systems, including ACM panels, are perfect insulation for the building. These materials damp the sound vibration by sending it down to earth through the structure of the facility. However, these building facade systems have limited sound insulating properties between the internal and external areas. Thus, the metal supplier should calculate the wall ratings, factoring in the weighted reduction in sound or transmission classification of the exterior panels.