Current construction and architectural trends emphasize the importance of using recyclable and natural elements in residential and commercial facilities. However, this does not mean homeowners should not protect their homes from exterior elements such as rainwater and snow. While your home can have modern and beautiful features such as interior plants, your facility needs protection to last long. So, you will have to choose and buy the best building claddings for your homes that function as the protective skin of the structure.
High-quality and best building claddings protect the structural elements and the interiors from various exterior threats. Typically, building cladding manufacturers produce these essential components with several layers, including the outer surface, vapor barriers, insulation layers, etc.
Although metal sidings such as aluminum cladding systems and brick are two of the most common exterior cladding materials, building material suppliers and suppliers offer other systems among the best building claddings that you can use for your home or business building.
These best building claddings have unique characteristics that make them perfect for a particular project. So, if you want to choose and buy the best building claddings for your homes or commercial facilities, you should have basic knowledge about the most common materials. Additionally, since buying cladding materials is considered an investment, you should be careful what you choose for a specific building.
Since we have seen many homeowners seeking the best building claddings for their homes, and most of them didn’t know their options or what they needed, we decided to provide the best guide for you to help you choose the best cladding material for your residential or commercial facility.
The best building claddings currently are:
- Wood Sidings
- Aluminum Composite Panels
- All Metal Sidings
- Vinyl Building Claddings.
Some of the Best Claddings are Made from Bricks
Bricks are the most traditional building cladding systems that are made from natural elements like clay soil. Manufacturers burn and bake clay soil to produce bricks.
Bricks are the best claddings in terms of painting since they do not require any other paints and can last long. These traditional home claddings capture heat for passive solar homes since they have efficient thermal mass.
Since there is a gap between the main wall of your home and the brick cladding system, your building will benefit from extra insulation.
Most of the current building material manufacturers produce the best building claddings with bricks that are made from recycled materials such as fly ash which reduces carbon emissions.
Pros of Best Building Claddings that are Made from Brick
- Environmentally friendly claddings
- Capture heat for passive solar houses
- Offers extra insulation
- Produced from recycled materials
- Brick building claddings can last long
Cons of Brick Cladding System
- The main disadvantage of brick cladding systems is that the production process requires a lot of energy since the material should be burnt in kilns.
- Manufacturers use mortars to bind bricks. These mortars contain cement, and the carbon footprint is about 5% of the world’s carbon dioxide emissions.
Cost of Brick Cladding Material
The best brick cladding materials cost around $1 to $2.5 per brick. If you want to use brick cladding for your home, you will need 3 to 4 bricks to make up the square meter. ($3 to $10 per square meter)
Wood Sidings are Among Best Building Claddings
Wood siding is another traditional building material among the best building claddings. Modern building material manufacturers produce wood sidings that are combined with aluminum and plastic to provide higher durability and a more contemporary appearance.
Wood building claddings are available in various styles and options, including:
- Board and Batten
- Bevel Clapboards
- Tongue and Groove
The wood species used for these best building claddings in natural panels are:
Advantages of Wood Claddings
- The main advantage of wood sidings is that they are made from natural and renewable resources, making them environmentally friendly construction materials.
- Best building claddings that are made from wood and are FSC certified are obtained and lumbered from forests that are sustainably managed.
- There are various methods that you can learn to build green homes with wood sidings.
- Modern construction material suppliers and manufacturers apply a special coating to the wood building claddings to provide better resistance against damaging elements such as rainwater and insects.
Disadvantages of Wood Sidings
- Wood sidings that are not FSC certified can be resources from unmanaged forests or illegally logged jungles.
- Most wood claddings require extra coating with varnish or other chemicals to withstand damaging elements.
Cost of Wood Cladding Systems
Since wood siding is made from a natural material, it is considered an expensive building cladding. This cladding material costs around $1 to $4 per square meter. Additionally, there is a cost for its installation, which varies from region to region.
You should also know that the main factors affecting the wood siding cost are its species and style.
Aluminum Composite Panels are the Best Building Claddings
Aluminum Composite Panel or ACM Panels are the best building claddings for modern homes and buildings. These high-tech materials are lightweight and require little maintenance, and are made from the composition of two aluminum plates that are attached to a mineral fill or fire-retardant core substance. High-quality aluminum composite panels are not vulnerable to water, snow, debris, and insects.
Pros of ACM Panels
- ACM panels are long-lasting.
- Aluminum composite panels are the best building claddings because they are low-maintenance.
- ACP is a lightweight material.
- All aluminum composite panels are resistant to insects, moisture, and humidity.
- Fire-rated aluminum composite panels offer safety.
- ACM panels are perfect sound and heat insulators.
- ACM panels are the best building claddings since they do not expand or contract so much during cold seasons.
- Aluminum composite panels reduce energy bills.
- ACM panels are a perfect investment and will add value to your home.
Cons of Aluminum Composite Materials As the Best Building Claddings
- It is hard to believe, but aluminum composite panels do not have any crucial drawbacks, making them the best building claddings in the construction industry.
- The only drawback of these valuable materials is their higher cost than some of the old cladding systems. However, old claddings could last at most 5 to 10 years, while ACM panels can last more than 40 years.
ACM Panels Cost
ACM panel’s cost varies depending on the style, finishes, and colors you choose. Additionally, the location of your building can also affect its cost.
If you want to buy aluminum composite material for your next project, you should expect to pay around $2 to $10 per square meter.
Metal Sidings (Steel, Copper, Aluminum) are Among the Best Building Claddings
Metal sidings are more traditional construction systems, but they are also among the best building materials that are available for new and renovation projects. These claddings are durable and do not require frequent maintenance. Common metal claddings are:
- Aluminum Siding
- Copper Siding
- Zinc Siding
- CORTEN Steel Siding
- Steel Siding
Pros of Metal Building Claddings
- The main advantage of metal building claddings is their longevity and low maintenance characteristics.
- If you install metal claddings, they will last for decades.
- Rainwater or snow cannot damage high-quality metal claddings.
- All of the metal cladding systems are insect-proof.
- Metal cladding that is made from steel and aluminum is fireproof.
Cons of Metal Sidings and Claddings
- Manufacturers that produce metal claddings need raw metal. So, the process requires metal mining which is not environmentally friendly. However, most metal claddings are recyclable. For instance, most aluminum sidings are produced with recycled cladding panels.
- Some of the metal claddings, such as steel sidings, are more expensive than aluminum sidings or aluminum compote panels, making them the non-economical choice.
Cost of Metal Building Cladding Systems
Generally, most metal building cladding systems cost around $2 to $7.5 per square meter. However, their price mainly depends on the material that the cladding is made of, its style, and its design. It is good to know that aluminum sidings are the least expensive metal claddings that you can choose for your home.
Vinyl Building Cladding System
Although ACM panels are the best building claddings, vinyl sidings are also suitable for modern homes. These cladding materials are mainly made from plastic ad PVC material. The best thing about these cladding materials is that they mimic the appearance of natural wood grain, providing a similar look to luxury wood sidings.
Like ACM panels, vinyl sidings are available in various shapes and sizes. However, the color variety may not be as comprehensive as aluminum composite panels. These claddings have become one of the best cladding systems due to their price, durability, and low maintenance characteristics.
Advantages of Vinyl Siding
- High-quality vinyl sidings are very long-lasting.
- They do not require complex maintenance.
- Vinyl sidings are very affordable and can be used for commercial and residential facilities.
- Most vinyl sidings can increase the R-value of the home’s insulation capacity.
- Producing vinyl cladding systems does not require much energy.
Cons of Vinyl Claddings
- Vinyl sidings are not sourced from natural and renewable resources.
- PVC can cause health issues to workers or builders.
- Unlike ACM panels, vinyl sidings are not fireproof.
Vinyl Building Claddings Cost
As the cheapest building claddings, vinyl sidings cost around $0.85 to $2.5 per square meter.