Building a residential facility, an office, or a board for advertisement can sometimes be a challenging and daunting task due to the complexity involved in the installation process. Developing a structure from 0 to 100 requires having a precise plan and schedule, but it also needs to be cost-effective and enjoyable. The essential part for building construction or an advertisement board mostly depends on various elements, including the contractor, project budget, and materials used for the purpose. This is why modern building materials come to the picture, including ACM panels.
Some factors for building a new office or home may not be in the customer’s hands. However, choosing and installing suitable building materials is unquestionably a choice. Choosing and buying construction materials for a custom facility or commercial building has become more manageable after manufacturers started developing aluminum composite material panels (ACM panels). However, before utilizing them in your next project, you will need to know what ACM panels or ACP materials are and how ACM panel installation should be done.
What are Aluminum Composite Materials (ACM)?
ACM panels manufacturers developed these functional materials with beneficial characteristics making the head product in construction and architecture. Compared to other construction materials, Aluminum composite panel (ACP) and supplies reveal their advantages. By looking at some high-quality ACM panels characteristics, including durability, rigidness, flexibility, and lightweight, the difference between other traditional cladding materials is evident. Additionally, it is easy to recycle ACM panels for other projects. Furthermore, the numerous applications of ACM panels make them the perfect choice for architects and builders.
Aluminum composite panels feature two primary layers of aluminum sheets and a core substance placed between other layers. Although ACP materials have not raised severe issues after their development, the core materials have been a leading obstacle. In other words, old composite panels didn’t feature non-combustible core material. However, ACM panels manufacturers managed to find and utilize FR (fire-retardant) substances and solve the issue once and for all. ACM manufacturers changed the polystyrene to a mineral-filled sense, and these materials gained approval from building regulations for safety. Thus, it is essential to check if the core is made from FR materials before ACM panels installation.
ACM Panels Installation Process
Although ACM panels are functional for various applications, including transportation, signage, industry, and more, they are primarily used as exterior building metal cladding systems and interior decoration materials. ACM panels installation involves different steps depending on the client’s demands. Thus, it is better to contact the ACM panel manufacturers and gather the details when buying aluminum composite panels.
Aluminum Composite Panel Installation Steps:
- Measurement: The first step of installing any building material is to measure the dimensions and size of the demanding product. It is essential to do the measurements precisely. Even the slightest mistakes can cause money and time loss.
- Fabricate: After determining the accurate size of the aluminum composite panels, the board provider should fabricate them in the demanding dimensions. ACM panels manufacturers utilize various professional tools for cutting, folding, bending, and drilling their materials. Installing supporters and fasteners can also take place in this step.
- Waterproofing: Another essential step of ACM panels installation is waterproofing. The weather barrier which should protect the structure needs to be installed before applying the aluminum composite claddings. In this step, a primer should be applied to the framings, and then the barrier is utilized to seal the cladding materials.
- Applying the Mounting System: Builders use a mounting system to ensure the straight alignment of ACM cladding panels. After applying the mounting system, the cladding boards are installed in a fixed order. The order depends on different factors, such as the priority of shaped areas and corners.
- Installing ACM Panels: In the final stage, ACM panels should be installed on the mounting. It is better to ensure that the primary profiles (clips) are connected to the aluminum composite panels. Then, the installer must screw the boards to the wall. After ACM panels installation, there will be a gap between the boards. Most ACM manufacturers utilize a strip for matching and hiding these gaps. Other supporters, such as shims and additional clips, are utilized in the final stage for leveling and attaching the cladding materials.
ACM Panels Installation Guide for Outdoor Application and Purpose
ACM panels outdoor applications require different installation methods. All methods require accuracy and precision. Due to the wind loads in the back of the composite panels, it is crucial to install weather resistance barriers. As told earlier, fire retardant core also represents a significant role in ACM panels cladding systems.
- The primary consideration for aluminum composite cladding panels is preparations. Choosing a fixed direction is essential to paint ACM panels. (Arrow direction on the protective film)
- For preventing damages and scratches on the boards, it is better to roll, cut or drill the product from the back.
- Developing a sketch for ACM panels installation is essential since some sections such as windows and doors need to be installed before other portions.
- Builders should install the first panel in areas such as corners.
- Permanently remove the protective films as each section’s installation is done.
- Aluminum composite installation for exterior wall cladding is crucial. The ACM panels should be sealed in the correct order. Otherwise, water leakage will possibly be an issue during rainy weather.